Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Jonen Ji Temple, Iwakuni, Japan

Sometimes, a vignette will bring the viewer into a shot and tell the story better than a wider shot will.  I will use vignettes in my architectural photography to help bring an intimacy to a space.

This close up image of a blue-green patinated bronze statue of a Buddhist monk and yellow flowers brings out the peace of the temple.  I felt a wider shot would have had too much information, and the peace would have been lost.

Click on image to enlarge.

This image presented a depth of field focus challenge.  I wanted the image sharp from the front toe to the flowers.  But, my lens couldn't accomplish this with stopping down the aperture alone.  I used quite a bit of front standard swing (or Schleimpflug) on my view camera to give me the depth of field I needed while keeping my aperture at an f-stop setting for maximum sharpness.

This image won honorable mention in the June 2010 Alexandria Art League Gallery show located in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia.

Please visit Todd A. Smith Photography, LLC to see more of Todd's work.

No comments: