Saturday, January 22, 2011

Air Force Memorial Flyover

Going through my archives, I found the images from an assignment for the Boeing Company.  On 10 April 2008, Boeing sponsored a flyover of the US Air Force Memorial of four historic military aircraft in honor of US Airmen who died during WWII and subsequent conflicts.

Click on image to enlarge.

From left to right: North American P-51D Mustang, Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress, Curtis Wright P-40 Kittyhawk.

Unfortunately the forth aircraft, the Vickers Armstrong Supermarine Spitfire was unable to participate.  I am sure it still made for an impressive static display at Andrews Air Force base where the flights originated from.

Being former Marine Corps Avionics with experience working on the McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) F-4 Phantom, Presidential helicopters and the Boeing F/A-18 Hornet, this was a dream assignment for me.  I was able to combine my architectural photography with flying aircraft.  I still get a thrill seeing and photographing high performance aircraft whether modern or historic.

Please visit Todd A. Smith Photography, LLC website to see more of Todd's work.

No comments: