Friday, December 16, 2011

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom

Between architectural assignments, I've been going through my film archives seeing what I would like to have digitally scanned.  Below are images of the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom I'd taken during my former Marine Corps career.  Please click on images to enlarge.

F-4S Phantom from VMFA 115 landing aboard USS Forrestal at dusk in the Mediterranean Sea.

  F-4S Phantom from VMFA 321 flying over the Caribbean.  Taken from the boom operators station on an Air Force KC-10 tanker.  I've always loved the distinct lines of the Phantom.

 Two F-4S Phantoms from VMFA 321 flying over the Caribbean.  Taken from a window of an Air Force KC-10 tanker.

 F-4S Phantom from VMFA 321 close up view of pilot.  Taken at very close range from an Air Force KC-10 tanker's boom operator's station.

Two F-4S Phantoms from VMFA 321 flying over the Caribbean.  Taken from an Air Force KC-10 tanker in the boom operators station.  While watching the Phantoms, the trailing Phantom suddenly did a quick barrel roll.  I asked the boom operator to contact the pilot to do another so I could photograph him.  He did and I got a great shot.

Todd A. Smith is a No. VA, VA, DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY architectural photographer with offices in Alexandria, VA and Spring Lake, NJ. Please visit www.tasphoto.com to see examples of his architectural photography.

1 comment:

Tito said...

Very nice pics! 115 is currently here in Iwakuni. I will point them to your site so they can see the pic.